Welcome to the dribblings of a mildly internet addicted individual who has too much to do in too little time, and the insane desire to blog about it all.

It's all relative, anyway.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday off work

Today I have my first Saturday off work in 6 months.

I'd like to say it's because I'm planning a relaxing day at home and just decided i didn't need a day's worth of weekend loadings. The fact that I'm still in my pyjamas might add credence to that theory.

The truth is another matter.

I'm still in my pyjamas, because I got home at 2am this morning after sitting in hospital with my husband for a number of hours.

He went in yesterday afternoon after much insistance on my behalf, because he was suffering from intense pain, tingling and numbness in his left arm. It had been waking him up at night for the last week but yesterday morning it was coupled with some shoulder and chest pains and we were both becoming concerned about possible heart implications.

So he went to the local hospital and they did a chest xray and gave him some aspirin. then he waited for 4 hours to be taken in an ambulance to the larger hospital. They wouldn't let him drive himself down there.

I arrived at the big hospital about the same time he did and stayed there in Emergency while they hooked him up to a bunch of machines and took some blood for testing. It was a bit weird. He felt like he was taking up a bed for no reason but despite the stress I was very glad he was there! His cholesterol has been high lately and he's a type 1 diabetic so health issues can be complicated by that.

I did a little bit of knitting at his bedside (not much) and we chatted for ages. They finally told us they were admitting him to the Cardiac assessment unit. I followed them up to the ward and we got him settled in with a whole new bunch of monitors and whatnot.

I then went home - there was no room there for me to stay. Besides, I had left the kids asleep with Master 15 watching them so I really needed to be home for the wake up.


It appears at this stage that the rest of the tests they did overnight have come back ok. His arm still woke him up with lots of pain early this morning but it seems to be unrelated to his heart. They are going to put him o a treadmill soon and do a stress test just to be sure.

If it's not a heart thing, then they will release him sometime today. This will be good! On the other hand, it means we will have to get an appointment somewhere in order for them to find out exactly what the problem is, because he can't keep going with numb fingers and tingly bits and extreme pain in his arm! Especially as he is a leftie.


So I'm not having a relaxing day off. I'm recovering from the stress of yesterday. And I'm thanking every lucky star I have that it's NOT his heart at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment